Saturday, February 18, 2012

Vanilla Cake

This weekend I plan on hanging out with friends to celebrate Valentine's Day. I know it is a little late, but this weekend worked better than last weekend and it is never too late for chick flicks, sweet treats, and a bunch of girl talk.


Well for dessert, I was planning on making something extra special and very cute to look at.  In order to make it, i needed vanilla cake.  I think a great vanilla cake recipe should be a staple in every cook's collection of cookbooks and recipes. I am going to share one of my favorite's with you.

I started off with the following ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 sticks (12 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups milk

I had already sifted the flour before I meausured it.  I sifted the flour again with the baking powder and salt to better combine the ingredients.
I then creamed together the egg and the sugar on medium high with an handheld electric mixer.

I added the eggs, a little bit at a time. Then I added vanilla and reduced the speed of my mixer to medium. I mixed in the flour mixture in 3 batches wit 2 batches of the milk to ensure that everything was well combined.  I raised the speed to medium high for 10-12 seconds.
Finally, I greased the pan. Depending on where the batter is going into, you will set the timer and the oven temperature accordingly.  It is also important that you preheat the oven for at least 15 minutes to ensure the cake will cook the entire time it is in the oven.

Do you have any more suspicions about what the sweet treat is?  Stay tuned to find out.

Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment